Sunday, December 12, 2010

Molecular Gastronomy

I do not have a degree from culinary school; however, I try to learn and teach myself different cooking techniques from different sources. I recently signed up to take a class "Molecular Gastronomy for the home cook" at the French Culinary Institute, but was unable to attend. However, I did purchased a kit from my friends at www.molecule-r.com to try this new technique on my own.


The kit contains pre-measured pouches of Agar Agar, Sodium Alginate, Calcium Lactate, Soy Lecithin and Xanthan Gum. It also came with a CD with 50 video tutorials, syringes, droppers, tubbing, a slotted spoon and measuring spoons. This kit was much easier to work with compared to one I purchased from www.thinkgeek.com.

My first attempt with the Molecule-R kit was for a Goat Cheese Ravioli. I used a Honey Goat Cheese under the Celebrity Label to execute my first trial. The recipe calls for 50g of Goat Cheese, 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon of Milk, and a 1/2 Teaspoon of Calcium Lactate.  I suggest using a fork to break the Goat Cheese up until you get a smooth consistency. For the Sodium Alginate Bath you must take 1 pouch (2 grams) and 2 cups of water in a shallow bowl. You will need to use an immersion blender to thoroughly mix the solution. Let that sit for 15 minutes before making your raviolis. 


 Honey Goat Cheese Ravioli's in Sodium Alginate Bath
Honey Goat Cheese Ravioli on Chips Ahoy Cookie


For my second cheese ravioli I used a Gorgonzola Piccante. I was a little nervous about trying this Gorgonzola because it has a different texture, as well as blue veins which adds an offset green/blue color. 
When I mixed the milk and Calcium Lactate with the cheese, I still had small pieces of cheese that did not dissolve. I am happy to say that this ravioli turned out successfully. Once breaking into the ravioli the two textures of smooth and small pieces of cheese were sensational. Again, I lacked components for the dish, so I used some Mustard Seed Salami to place under the ravioli. Take a look below. 
Gogonzola Piccante with a Mustard Seed Salami

Gogonzola Piccante with Mustard Seed Salami with a drizzle of Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil



No comments: